
(Note...we don't have the best internet access here in Sesimbra. We'll post when we can...bom dia!)
Our first full day in Portugal and what a beautiful setting. The beach is spotless, the water clear and full of so many colors, brightly-painted fishing dories, a sea of red-tiled roofs and that castle on the hill. Alexa bagged her first castle today. Originally built in the 1200’s by the Moors in an area dating back to occupation by the Phoenicians, it is impressive how it has stood through time. Alexa was a bit disappointed not to see a lot of rooms/buildings where the lord once lived but couldn’t believe we could just walk around the ancient walls. I think it was a great introduction before some of the more ornate castles to come and really makes you think about how young our own country is.
Unfortunately, our runny noses have developed into more serious colds, especially Alexa.
On the way to Cabo Espichel (the lighthouse at the south end of the Tejos River across from Lisbon), Alexa fell asleep in the back seat. I explored the 17th century church that sits above the sheer cliffs (many warning signs) very quickly while Alexa watched from the car (good thing it is the off-season and we are the only ones about with our choice of parking). An impressive church that was the site of pilgrimage lodgings that they hope to turn into a hotel some day, but for now, a gorgeous view to Lisbon to the north and the lighthouse just to the south. The lighthouse is still in use with caretakers living there. There and most houses along the way, had vegetable gardens full of squashes and cabbages and chickens/turkeys/geese making a ruckus. It is so much more interesting that the modern condos being built all over the hillsides.
Since I knew Alexa wouldn’t be up for much else besides a rest in the hotel room, I headed east to try to find the tile shop that made tiles for each conference attendee. I felt like one of those annoying RV-tourist as I would stop alongside the rode and take a picture without even getting out of the car. I should have put a sign in the window saying I wasn’t lazy, just accommodating my sick child. Unfortunately I didn’t find the tile shop but did get to see vineyards and harvested cork trees along the way. There is a lot of building going on in this area, much of it seems to be by the English.
Back in Sesimbra, it was amazing to see how a visit to the pastry shop and a dip in the pool could help out with a cold. Pastry shops are definitely going to be a favorite throughout our journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment