Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Alexa!


Can you believe it? Alexa is double-digits...yes, 10 years old today!
This is her second birthday in a foreign country, isn't that weird? She's the one who pointed it out of course. We've had a great day so far, here, the night is young as we just finished our pastry round at 6pm...dinner is out of the question until at least 8pm. Tonight, birthday girl's choice, so pizza it is.

After a leisurely morning (waiting for rush hour to end but to no avail, yet another accident near the bridge and an even longer commute), we headed into Lisbon again. First it was like a wild ride at Disneyland as I got on the wrong road after the exit (it had looked so easy on the map). Somehow we ended up on very narrow, steep (it has been a while since we've had clutch just to make it even more fun!), crowded, cobble-stone streets. Good thing the car comes with a button to retract the mirrors (really) as the street was not much wider than our mini-car. My internal GPS managed to get us down the hill and out onto the street I had originally intended. I kept telling Alexa this was her birthday tour of old Lisbon. Of course I did end up in a bus only lane to make that final turn but thankfully no police and off I went (what a tourist).

Our destination today was the Lisbon Aquarium, built in 1998 for the expo, and Europe's largest. It was great to be surrounded by kids and no tourists (except us). (Traveling in the off season has been great so far...perfect temperature/weather and no crowds at all). They have a main tank (huge) surround on 4 corners by representations of the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Antarctic Oceans. We ended up spending the most time at the Pacific just because the otters were putting on an acrobatic, grooming show. Everytime we go to the Newport aquarium, they seem to be sleeping. Alexa was so inspired she plopped down on the floor and started drawing.


Of course, the main tank was mesmerizing. I had the most fun watching the Mola-mola as I've only ever seen them lounging on the surface. They sure look even more bizarre swimming. It was a great day, especially when your 10-yr-old tells you it was the best. The ride back to Sesimbra was our first uneventful (no traffic) journey. I did manage to go around 2 circulars a few times while getting my bearings (a few honks as well...boy, do I not like being a tourist driver!).
A little rest before heading out for the daily pastry fix (and my first latte of the day, that is hard). Then Cliff got to do the daily swim however, that ended early since there is a very aggressive group of women doing water aerobics. I took the opportunity to watch a bit of the Daily Show online....I saw the first part of the after-election show....FANTASTIC. His Obama imitation does need some work and I am not going to miss seeing the W impersonation one bit! CNN is getting a bit hard to watch but its the only option we've got at the moment...what junkies. I've already got a list of things to watch when we get back (including Oprah...couldn't get that one Sharon).

Looking forward to the birthday dinner and a little rest...I'm still exhausted after the election exhiliration. Glad I left some bottles of bubbly in the refrigerator at home!

Lots to celebrate tonight...10 years ago a beautiful baby girl and now a wonderful daughter who is such a joy!

Boa noite.

ps-
This just cracked me up...spied it on the first drive into Sesimbra, a dog agility training center! Cory, you'd be welcomed here (well, he's not the agility type). Yesterday I realized the pictures were goldens so today I just had to stop and take a few photos of the place. Wish I could have seen some goldens..missing our guy!



1 comment:

Nancy said...

No worries about Cory - he and Violet are having a grand old time. Sadly, it's done nothing but rain since you left so they get relegated to the yard or the garage a lot, but they're OK with it.

Thank you for the wonderful updates - maybe we should have gone after all. Sam's a bit young, though.

We are feeling the same elation, pride, and hope at the outcome of the election. Now the really hard work starts!

Nancy