Getting to our last home-away-from-home was tiring (up at 5am, long stop at Madrid airport,figuring out the RER train from Orly, getting turned around to find our apartment...) but we are in Paris. It was only a couple of blocks of walking (with way too much baggage) that I looked behind us and there was the Eiffel Tower. I thought we were going to be too far to see it on a daily basis but there it is.
We are staying in the 5th arrondissemont, the Latin Quarter, Left Bank, near the Pantheon and a block off of Rue Moueffetard (pedestrain street known for all of its great eating places, shops). It is also near the Sorbonne (part of the University of Paris) so its alive with people.We are renting an apartment on the pedestrain-only Rue Rollin which we found on vrbo.com. It is called "My little home in Paris" by its owners Sandi et Phillipe. It is perfect for us, completely full of everything you could need to get going the first day (wine, snacks, flowers, toiletries...they have thought of everything). In the morning I just pop down the street and get fresh bread for breakfast while making some coffee.
The first night we ventured up and down our lively little neighborhood and settled upon a kid-friendly Italian restaurant (pasta for Alexa
which she thoroughlly enjoyed) and then had an early evening to rest for our first big day.A big day it was...I can't believe I actually got tired by 8pm...I was so bummed at myself. We walked and walked, there is so much to see. (We had planned to take the metro but I wanted to be up where we could see everything). We first visited the Pantheon to get a little history of Paris and St. Genevieve. Then on down to Notre Dame, crossing the Seine and meandering the shops. We made it to the top of the bell tower of Notre Dame...400 steps up on hard, stone stairs which primarily were narrow spiral staircases. Oh but the view...so fabulous. The gargoyles were very interesting. Alexa liked the gargoyles but turns out, doesn't like heights at all (hmmm, what to do with the Eiffel Tower?!?) and she also doesn't like crypts/dead people.

We had a light lunch in a park near the Hotel de Ville from boulangerie snacks (foccacia...have to say it was better than Panninis). Alexa had her eye on some traditional berets which she scouted out the stalls for the best price (a chip off the block). She looks adorable wearing it.
Next was our big foray into the Louvre. It is really big and we got lost trying to find the mummies. We got side-tracked by the Greek, Roman and other Egyptian statues/galleries and never found the actual mummies
before getting tired. We decided we'd better head for the French & Italian galleries to see Mona. She looked a bit differently displayed than the D'Vinci movie fame but still as mysterious.She commands the room which is filled with paintings larger than our house although she is quite demure in size.
Somewhere along the way, it turned dark outside so we decided to walk back and find something to eat along the way. There is something to see everywhere (especially when you are constantly rechecking your bearings). Note...everyone seems to be carrying a map or guidebook, it is hard to tell the tourists from the locals. We walked through the St. Germain art gallery district where we could peer in all the windows (a new museum!) and ended up back on rue Moeffetard. It was at this point, knowing home was a block away, that my legs/feet had enough. We ate at a creperie (wow..a gallette grec--so much feta, olives, tomato) and then had dessert at home (oh yea, bought some truffles somewhere, pastries, bread, wine, etc.)We are savoring our day as midnight approaches. Wish I could have been outside on the streets even later but there is tomorrow.
Au revoir.

2 comments:
That sounds wonderful! I loved going to Paris. If you get a chance (I'm sure people are telling you that left and right) Père Lachais, the cemetery was one of the most interesting places I went while staying there. A labyrinth of ornate memorials and gravestones. I hope that the rest of your stay is fabulous!
Hi Guys! We have enjoyed traveling along with you, and seeing photos of some of the fabulous things you have seen and done. Andra, we were thinking of you yesterday in powersculpt class - wondering if you were settling in for dinner in Paris, while we were doing endless leglifts. I'm sure that stairclimbing in Europe beats disco squats at the Rec Center, hands down! We hope the rest of your trip is full of adventure and great fun.
---Janna
Post a Comment